Public Council for Work with Youth under the Ministry of Youth and Sports
The Public Council for Work with Youth under the Ministry of Youth and Sports operates since 1994.
The main objective of the Public Council
To ensure participation of non-governmental youth organizations (public unions and funds) in the decision-making process related to the implementation of the state youth policy.
The Public Council tasks:
- to involve the relevant government agencies, non-governmental youth organizations and the international organizations in the implementation of the state youth policy;
- to participate in the development of the state youth policy in the Republic of Azerbaijan, the elaboration of normative legal acts and state programs;
- to make proposals for alterations and amendments in the effective laws and normative legal documents;
- where necessary, to elaborate new draft laws, normative legal documents and state programs, and submit them to relevant government authorities;
- to involve non-governmental youth organizations, foundations and international organizations in the social assessment of the youth-related legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as in the elaboration and improvement of new laws;
- to involve non-governmental youth organizations and foundations in the implementation of programs related to youth;
- to hold discussions about the socio-political processes in the country and around the world, and investigate the public opinion;
- to prepare proposals aimed at the support of youth organizations and their active participation in the public life;
- to consider problems associated with the internal structuring of non-governmental youth organizations and foundations, and their professionalism in separate areas;
- to study and analyze the civil and social initiatives related to the state youth policy;
- to define the young people's concerns and new development trends in a globalized society, prepare recommendations on their resolution and submit them to relevant government authorities;
- to study and evaluate public opinion in the field of work with youth, and coordinate the activities of non-governmental youth organizations and foundations.
The Public Council's rights:
- to receive information necessary for its activities, including draft legal acts on issues associated with youth that require public consultation from relevant government authorities;
- to organize discussions of the projects and the preparation of new projects implemented by non-governmental youth organizations and foundations;
- to search opportunities of providing the methodological, informational and technical assistance to support the activities of non-governmental youth organizations and foundations;
- to organize open events (public discussions, workshops, conferences, round tables and others) for the discussion of topical issues;
- to create permanent and temporary working bodies (commissions, expert groups, working groups, etc.);
- to prepare and publish the annual reports to inform the public about its activities, decisions, and their implementation;
- other rights of the Public Council may also be exercised under the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
Public Council acts:
Registered non-governmental organizations which statutory aims and objectives cover the young only, may be represented in the Public Council. The composition of the Public Council shall be approved by a relevant order of the Ministry of Youth and Sport.
The rights of the Public Council members:
- to actively participate in all events held by the Public Council;
- to make proposals for the inclusion of issues in the agenda of the Public Council;
- to lead and represent committees and working groups created on permanent and temporary basis;
- to make proposals associated with the participation of experts in the Social Council meetings;
- to participate in the preparation of materials and consideration of issues;
- to bring up various initiatives and proposals.
The decision to cancel the membership in the Public Council can be made in the following cases:
- in case of a written request to cancel the membership in the Public Council submitted on a voluntary base;
- if a member of the Public Council does not participate in the meetings more than 4 (four) times.
The structure of the Public Council
- the Public Council meetings;
- Chairman of the Public Council;
- Deputy Chairman of the Public Council;
- the Public Council commissions;
- Secretary of the Public Council.
NOTE: temporary and permanent expert and working groups of the Public Council can be created.
Up to now, the works done and other issues associated with the holding the Azerbaijani Youth Forums, celebration of February 2 – the Azerbaijan Youth Day, active participation of young people in the presidential, parliamentary and municipal elections,draft laws and government programs, moral and patriotic education of youth, the discordance of the so-called "Armenian genocide" with the historical reality, announcement 2007 as the “Youth Year”, activities of the youth in social networks, inplementation of the "Azerbaijan’s Youth Development Strategy for 2015-2025" have been duscussed, and the attitute toward the important socio-political events taking place in the country and around the world has been reported in the meetings of the Public Council.