Azerbaijan Basketball Federation
The Azerbaijan Basketball Federation (ABF) was registered on 12.03.1993. Since 1994, it is a member of the International Basketball Federation (FIBA).
The ABF's main objective is to develop the basketball in Azerbaijan and improve the sport reputation of our country. ABF operates in cooperation with the National Olympic Committee, the Ministry of Youth and Sports, and FIBA.
ABF's main fields of activities are as follows:
- Wide promotion and popularization of basketball in Azerbaijan;
- Elaboration of perspective programs and their implementation for the development of basketball in Azerbaijan;
- Organizing and conducting the national competitions among different age groups;
- Ensuring the participation of national teams in international competitions;
- Improving the reputation of the Azerbaijani basketball in the international sports organizations;
- Studying the international experience gained in the development of basketball and its applying across the country;
- Organization of scientific-and-research and methodological works in the field of basketball;
- Improving the system of preparation of highly skilled basketball players and specialists.
ABF regularly conducts national championships and competitions in the Children and Teen Basketball League. In addition, ABF ensures regular conduction of the national 3x3 basketball tournaments to which FIBA attaches great importance in recent years. ABF pays special attention to the preparation of the Azerbaijani 3x3 basketball teams consisting of men and women to the IV Islamic Solidarity Games which will be held in Baku in 2017, and our teams will participate in qualifying competitions of the 3x3 European championship in July this year.
ABF pays special attention to training and progress of young basketball players in our country, and for this purpose ensures the continuous selection process conducted by coaches. It should be noted that in July this year, U16 and U18 national teams of Azerbaijan will take part in the European Championship (C Division).
Azerbaijani national team's achievements:
2005 - The I Islamic Solidarity Games (1st place, men)
2006 - European Development Cup (1st place, men)
2008 - European Championship, C Division (1st place, men)
2015 - U18 European Championship, C Division (2nd place, men)